Veterans National Honor Society
University of Arkansas - Fort Smith
November 23, 2015
The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith Chapter of the SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society inducted 15 charter members to the honor society. Students were inducted by their Dean or faculty member of the college they are pursuing their degree, and were recognized by their academic achievements. 3 Alpha, 1 Bravo, 7 Charlie, and 4 Delta members. Charter members:Criminal Justice Majors -Matthew Eggert, Alpha; Travis Williams, Charlie; Sarah Conley, Charlie; Casaday London, Delta. Applied Science & Organizational Leadership Majors - Charles Holmes, Alpha; Cory Lovett, Charlie; Corey Waldrep, Delta. Business Administration Majors - Jose Rivera, Bravo; Robert Lopez, Charlie. Nursing Majors. Robert Iassogna, Charlie; Joshua Meyers, Delta; Tanya Ruszczak, Delta. English Majors - Carl DeBose, Charlie; Joseph Riviera, Charlie. Early Childhood Education Major - Carrie Mize, Alpha.
SALUTE is a national academic honor society recognizing veterans and military personnel who have demonstrated outstanding performance in the academic setting. One of the primary goals of SALUTE is to acknowledge, congratulate, hail, pay homage, pay respect, pay tribute, and recognize members who have shown courage, strength, leadership, excellence, and perseverance in their military endeavors and now are showing that same commitment to their academic career. SALUTE members receive an honor stole for graduation. An induction ceremony will take place each semester to welcome new members and recognize tier increases.
Criteria for SALUTE membership:
- Undergraduate students at University of Arkansas - Fort Smith must have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours prior to the first day of any semester they apply for membership, and have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- A graduate student must have completed a minimum of 9 semester hours at University of Arkansas - Fort smith, and have a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA
- An applicant must be currently enrolled at the University of Arkansas, Fort Smith during the semester they apply for membership
- An applicant must have received an honorable discharge from the armed forces or provide proof of current duty station or assignment. (A DD Form 214 with character of service indicated or copy of currents orders must be provided)
- An undergraduate student may be eligible for one of four tiers based on cumulative GPA: Alpha (3.75-4.00); Bravo (3.50-3.74); Charlie (3.25-3.49); and Delta (3.00-3.24)
- A graduate student with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 may be eligible as a SALUTE GOLD member
- An Applicant must have completed basic and advanced individual training components.
- An applicant must maintain the highest ethical standards
Members of SALUTE will receive a challenge coin and a certificate of membership in the University of Arkansas - Fort Smith Chapter of SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society. Members graduating will wear a white honor stole with bars signifying the academic tier achieved. All veteran student graduates will receive a red, white, and blue honor cord to wear at graduation for any degree earned at no additional cost regardless of membership to SALUTE.
To be considered eligible for induction into the University of Arkansas - Fort Smith Chapter of SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society for the current academic year, the following documents must be submitted to the address below no later October 1 for fall consideration, and March 1 for spring consideration. Completed application materials may also be emailed if received no lather than the above deadlines.
- Completed SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society Application form.
- Copy of unofficial University of Arkansas - Fort Smith transcript.
- Copy of DD Form 214, member copy 4, with character of service or proof of duty station/assignment indicated.
- To be accepted into SALUTE Veterans National Honor Society, a payment of $35.00 must be made to SALUTE after the applicant receives formal notification (via email) that his or her application has been accepted into the national honor society.
Please return or mail all completed application materials to: