Processing Outside Scholarships
2019-2020 Outside Designated Scholarships
An outside designated scholarship is any scholarship not awarded by the government or the school, such as a scholarship provided by a private sector company, philanthropist or foundation. Outside scholarships are considered resources, meaning that they reduce your financial aid package dollar for dollar.
Since outside scholarships are awarded by agencies outside of the University of Arkansas - Fort Smith, we do not have any information unless the student or the awarding agency provides that information to us.
Some organizations require verification of enrollment before they will disburse funds. You may get your enrollment verification by logging on to My.UAFS, click:
- Students Services and Financial Aid
- Enrollment Verification 24/7
The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith policy and process is outlined below:
Scholarship checks may be made payable to the University of Arkansas-Fort Smith, the student, or both. If the student is included as a payee, the student will need to endorse the check before it can be processed.
For each student and each scholarship, the following information should be indicated in the documentation sent with the check:
- Student's Full Name, Student ID or social security number
- Name of awarded scholarship
- Contact name and phone number of the scholarship coordinator for your agency.
- Semesters of disbursement. Scholarships may be applied to Fall only, Spring only, Summer only, or split between semesters. If there is no indication which semester(s) the amount will split equally between fall and spring.
- What the scholarship will pay for (tuition & fees, books, supplies, room & board) and if unused amount is refundable to the student. If there is no specification, the amount will apply to tuition and fees ONLY.
- Enrollment hours required by the donor agency to permit disbursal of the scholarship(s). The organization may specify how many hours in which a student must be enrolled in order to receive the scholarship. Full-time enrollment is 12 semester hours for undergraduate students and 9 semester hours for graduate students. If the organization does not specify enrollment requirements, we will assume that full-time enrollment is required.
Note: Outside Scholarships will not be applied to the students account until the scholarship check has been received by UAFS.
The student is responsible for any unpaid balance on their account until funds are received and applied to their account.