Processing Outside Scholarships
2019-2020 Outside Designated Scholarships
An outside designated scholarship is any scholarship not awarded by Federal, State, or the school, such as a scholarship provided by a private sector company, philanthropist or foundation. Outside scholarships are considered resources, meaning that they reduce your financial aid package dollar for dollar.
Since outside scholarships are awarded by agencies outside of the University of Arkansas - Fort Smith, we do not have any information unless the student or the awarding agency provides that information to us.
Some organizations require verification of enrollment before they will disburse funds. You may get your enrollment verification by logging on to My.UAFS, click:
- Students Services and Financial Aid
- Enrollment Verification 24/7
Our policy has changed regarding third party, outside designated scholarships. If you are expecting a scholarship from an outside donor, we will apply the scholarship as ESTIMATED FUNDS to your account only if you provide an Award Notification Letter stating the following:
- Student’s Full Name and student ID number
- Name of awarded scholarship with contact name and phone number of the scholarship coordinator for your agency
- Semesters of disbursement. Fall only, Spring only, Summer only, or split between semesters. If there is no indication which semester(s) the amount will be split equally between fall and spring.
- What the scholarship will pay for (tuition & fees, books, supplies, room & board) and if unused amount is refundable to the student. If there is no specification, the amount will apply to tuition and fees ONLY.
- Estimated arrival date of check to UAFS
The estimated funds will remain on your account until October 1 for fall and March 15 for spring semesters, or until we receive the actual check from your donor. If checks do not arrive by the deadline, the estimated amount will be removed and your account will be subject to a HOLD until the check arrives, or you pay the remaining balance. This hold will prevent you from registering for future semesters.
Tribal Scholarships exception:
We will apply all Tribal Scholarships (Cherokee, Choctaw, etc.) as ESTIMATED FUNDS from an Award Notification Letter and those will remain on your account until the actual check arrives.